- A minimum of one year of college chemistry, including organic chemistry.
- One year of college physics and a background in calculus.
- A minimum of 4 semester or 5 quarter courses in the biological sciences, including biochemistry. Accompanying laboratory courses are strongly recommended.
- One course in statistics, including computer-based analysis.
- One course in organismic physiology.
Students may be admitted with deficiences, and students with a deficiency are encouraged to apply. Any such deficiences should be made up within 20 months of starting graduate study.